ADVERTISEMENT

Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was reinstated immediately after the suspension was lowered

ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor Bauer Two-year suspension Major League Baseball has been reduced from 324 games to 194 games played on Thursdays, which means that Dodgers You decide whether to pay him or let him go.

ADVERTISEMENT

The original suspension, the longest ever for a violation of baseball’s policy on sexual assault and domestic violence, was shortened by the arbitration panel that considered Power’s appeal from May.

“After a thorough review of the available evidence, the neutral arbitrator upheld the suspension of 194 games without pay,” Major League Baseball said in a statement. , the arbitrator reduced Bauer’s salary for the first 50 matches of the 2023 season (i.e. the period covering March 30, 2023 to May 23, 2023). While we believe a longer suspension was warranted, MLB will abide by the neutral arbitrator’s decision, which upholds the longest suspension of players in baseball for sexual assault or domestic violence.

We understand that this process has been difficult for the witnesses involved and we thank them for their participation. Due to the joint program’s collectively negotiated confidentiality provisions, we are unable to provide further details at this time.”

His last engagement with the Dodgers was on June 28, 2021, the day before the San Diego woman was solicited injunction against himAlleging that he sexually assaulted her. The league placed Bauer on investigative leave that week and suspended him this past April. Meanwhile, two other women have reported similar experiences with Bauer to The Washington Post. He denied any wrongdoing with the three women.

On February 11, 2021, A.J The Dodgers signed Bauera former UCLA star and at the time National League Cy Young Award defenseman, has been signed to a three-year, $102 million contract through the 2023 season. He is not eligible to play in the major leagues until .

Of the 16 players suspended since the sexual assault and domestic violence policy took effect in 2015, he became the only player to file an appeal.

Neither Bauer nor Al-Douri mentioned the evidence Al-Douri presented in determining the suspension. When MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred imposed the suspension, Bauer said, “In the strongest possible terms, I deny any violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy.”

By the time MLB suspended Power, the restraining order had been denied by a judge, who was the Los Angeles District Attorney Refrain from filing criminal charges, saying that the charges cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The district attorney’s office said it investigated Bauer for “assault with means likely to cause great bodily harm, sodomy of a sleeping person, and domestic violence.”

Under a policy negotiated between the league and its players’ association, Manfred is allowed to suspend any player even if they are not charged with a crime.

Bauer sued six parties for defamation, including a San Diego woman. She sued him again, and Bauer asked that her case be dismissed because the refusal of the restraining order would necessarily mean that the court had already ruled that no assault occurred.

US District Judge James Silna Bauer’s request was refused In November, he ruled that the hearing for the restraining order determined whether the woman was at risk of future harm from Bauer but “did not necessarily determine that Bauer did not beat or sexually assault [her]. “

Bauer and his representatives have long referred to the judge at the hearing for the restraining order saying the woman was “materially misleading” in her application for the order. Selna noted that the “materially misleading” comment did not refer to her account of the two sexual encounters but to the way it “overestimated the extent of Bauer’s connection”. [her] After the second meeting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT