One week after player Jeter Downs was designated for the assignment, the Red Sox officially handed him over Thursday.
Downs was claimed off waivers by the Nationals, who added him to their 40-man roster. The Red Sox confirmed the move, which was first reported by The Washington Post’s Jesse Dougherty.
Downs, a key component of the February 2020 deal that sent Mookie Betts to the Dodgers, was set to make room on 40-man roster outfielder Masataka Yoshida last week. The 24-year-old will now head to his fourth pro organization; He was drafted by the Reds before being traded to the Dodgers, and then eventually the Red Sox.
Downs entered the Red Sox as one of the top prospects and one of the top 100 players in baseball, but struggled badly at the plate after missing a year when the 2020 minor league season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Downs hit just 0.11 with 14 homers and 606 OPS in 99 games at Triple-A in 2021, then posted a .197 under-par average and .728 OPS in 81 games for the WooSox in 2022. In a 14-game big league cameo during Summer, he was 6-for-39 (. 154) with one homer. He batted at an absurd 51.2% average, and was down in strikeouts in 21 of his 41 plate appearances. MLB Pipeline rated Downs as the 44th prospect in baseball when the Red Sox acquired him; He was rated the 24th prospect in the Boston system before he was cut.
Chaim Blum, president of the Red Sox baseball team, said the move from the Downs was a difficult decision.
“This was a tough one,” Bloom said last week. “The fact that he was in a position where we considered him and picked him to be hired, I think just speaks to some of the difficulties we had in getting him on the right track. I still think there was a lot of physical ability but we just couldn’t unlock it consistently. I know for sure he still is. Young and there is no reason to cross his name off but it is clear that he has had some difficulties.”
The Red Sox First baseman Eric Hosmer was officially released, making the veteran a free agent six days after Boston designated him for assignment.
Boston acquired Hosmer from the Padres at the trade deadline but he was limited to just 14 games due to a back injury. It quickly fell behind Triston Casas on the depth chart once Casas made his debut and played well in Hosmer’s absence. Needing a roster spot for newly acquired reliever Wyatt Mills, the Red Sox hired Hosmer on Friday with Casas’ future in mind.
“Our list is not complete yet, but as we build our club we feel it is important to give Triston a clear run, and carrying two left-handers off first strike would leave us in other areas,” Bloom said. weekend. “Given that, it’s important that Eric do something right and give him time to find his next opportunity. We knew when we first got him that day would come at some point, and we wanted to make sure we treated him right.”
The Red Sox have worked hard to trade Hosmer in recent weeks, according to industry sources, but have found there has been little interest in the league. That wasn’t necessarily a surprise considering the Red Sox didn’t give up much (they sent Jay Groom to the Padres for Hosmer and two minor leaguers with San Diego got all of Hosmer’s remaining salary) because Hosmer didn’t have a solid market at the trade deadline.
Which team claimed Hosmer would be responsible for collecting the remainder of his contract (three years and $39 million) so he was an obvious candidate for clarification. Whoever signs him will be on the hook for the league’s minimum salary next year with the Padres picking up the rest of the tab.
Mets: Carlos Correa was at the St. Regis San Francisco with his parents, brother and in-laws, ready to head to Oracle Park for his introductory press conference. That’s when agent Scott Boras asked the featured player to meet him in Room 1212.
Farhan Zaidi, the Giants’ president of baseball operations, called Boras at 8 a.m. PST Tuesday morning, three hours before the scheduled announcement.
“He told me they needed more time, more evaluation,” Porras said Thursday. “They didn’t make any decisions, but they weren’t ready to go ahead with a press conference because they didn’t feel like they would be able to gather information within that short period of time.”
Porras brought this startling revelation to Korea.
“He was obviously surprised, as we were all,” Porras said.
Instead of striking a $350 million, 13-year agreement with the Giants, Boras struck a $315 million, 12-year deal with the Mets, and Correa heads to New York for the actual Thursday. Porras said results usually come back within 24-48 hours and that the timing of the announcement is up to the team. A press conference likely won’t be scheduled until next month, after the holiday break.
Correa had his body taken with the Giants on Monday.
“We have three teams offering this player contracts of more than 10 years,” Porras said. “Evidently each of them had his medicine. There is no current problem with Carlos’ health whatsoever. There has been a lot of discussion about their backs and ankles. There is nothing about him that is currently any form of medical problem. All speculation and assessments of him revolve around Doctors using the crystal ball for years to come.”
Porras spoke after pitcher Carlos Rodon’s introductory press conference with the New York Yankees. The agent said all teams received results from Corea’s end-of-season physical exam conducted by Dr. Christopher Camp, the Twins’ medical director and director of high performance and orthopedic surgeon at Mayo Clinic.
“They do a full account of the player before doing anything to do with the offers,” said Porras. “I got a long letter going through it, and with that came a 10-plus-year contract recommendation. So this was known to the Minnesota team doctor who had been with him all year.”
Porras preserved the surgery Correa had in 2014 to repair a fracture in his right leg that should not have been a problem. Dr. Kevin Varner, chief of orthopedic surgery at Houston Methodist Hospital, operated on Correa.
the Red: Will Myers signed a one-year contract with Cincinnati, joining his third team in the league after spending the previous eight seasons with San Diego.
The Reds announced the deal. Includes a trade-in option for the 2024 season.
The 32-year-old Myers started major league games at first base, third base, and in each outfield position. 254 batter with 153 homers and 521 RBI in 1,063 games.
Cincinnati went 62-100 last season. It was his first season with at least 100 losses since going 61-101 in 1982.
Myers can be used on the field with the Reds. He can also see some starting time as Joey Votto works his way back from rotator cuff surgery.
Myers hit . 261 with seven homers and 41 RBI in 77 games in his final season with the Padres. He was 3-for-29 in 10 playoff games.
Cubs: Chicago once again strengthened its defense, agreeing to a contract with Gold Glove winner Tucker Barnhart.
Barnhart, who turns 32 on January 7, is expected to support Jan Gomez. Wilson Contreras was Chicago’s first starter last season, but he signed a five-year, $87.5 million contract with St. Louis during free agency.