Tennis on Netflix! Eight stars of the new Break Point series – including injured Nick Kyrgios, American Taylor Fritz and world number two Jaber – got NIGHTMARE to start a fresh season, exiting early at the Australian Open
- The Australian Open has been ‘cursed’ by players involved in a new Netflix show
- The Netflix series Break Point followed 10 players through the first five episodes
- So far eight of them have been eliminated before the third round
- Only Maria Sakkari and Felix Auger-Aliassime remain in the tournament
- Fans are beginning to believe that the “Netflix curse” is real and is affecting gamers
- Click here for the latest international sports news from DailyMail.com
Tennis fans can’t escape the idea that Netflix’s new series “Break Point” has upset its first star — with eight of them crashing out of the Australian Open before the third round.
The 10-part docuseries focuses on the lives of some of tennis’ biggest names in the 2022 season.
But those same players are back on the floor in 2023 with eight out of 10 stars in the first five Australian Open rings before the third round.
Taylor Fritz (left) and Nick Kyrgios (right) among Netflix stars who had a miserable 2023
Jaber No. 2 in the world was ruthlessly eliminated by unranked superstar Marketa Vondrousova
In the first five episodes of the new Netflix documentary Break Point, 10 players appear
The Netflix social media team was quick to describe the players’ unfortunate form as a “coincidence”.
Taylor Fritz, Team USA’s best hope for a men’s singles victory at the Australian Open, joined the list of casualties on Wednesday after losing to home favorite Alexei Popyrin — but he wasn’t the first to fall.
Before the start of the Melbourne Grand Slam tournament, three players – Nick Kyrgios, fellow Australian Ajla Tomljanovic and Spain’s Paula Badosa – withdrew from injuries sustained in the previous period.
From there, the Netflix star squad soon found this year’s Opening Slam ended prematurely.
Paula Badosa (left) and Ajla Tomljanovic (right) joined Kyrgios in withdrawing from the injured.
Of those who appeared, Matteo Berrettini was the first to go down, losing 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7, 7-6.
13th seed Matteo Berrettini was the first victim, losing an epic match 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (10-6) to Scottish veteran Andy Murray.
From there, second seed Casper Rudd was eliminated in four sets by American phenom Jenson Broxby.
The players worried when they were told that the “curse” was gaining traction among the crowd.
Fritz in particular was unimpressed by the narrative.
Actually, I didn’t know this was it [thing]Fritz said before the second round bout.
Maria Sakkari (left) and Felix Auger-Aliassime (right) are the only two Netflix stars still competing
I obviously noticed people dropping out of the tournament, but little did I know it was something like, ‘I’m going to lose my first round because I’m on a Netflix show? I didn’t think of that.
But Fritz will soon join the rest of the Netflix crew in dropping out early with his title hopes extinguished by Popyrin.
But more drama would follow on Thursday when world No. 2 Jabeur crashed, losing to unseeded Marketa Vondrousova, then Murray claimed his second Netflix victim by knocking out Thansi Kokkinakis in the longest match of the Scot’s career.
Word of the “curse” spread on social media with fans convinced it was a “real” thing.
Dane Holger Rohn sneered at talk that Netflix would be bad for players’ performance as he revealed, after reaching the third round, that he would take part in the second series.
I’m excited to do that. I think it would be great. “It’s good for tennis,” he said.
“It’s good for us players. [The] More fans we can participate in sports, it’s better. I’m just so positive about it.
There’s a very real possibility that all 10 players featured across the first five episodes fall before the first weekend, with Maria Sakkari and Felix Auger-Aliassime due early on Friday.